August 20, 2006

Celebrity Sightings in Stumptown

The other day, sensing a need for some caffeine, I stepped out for a few minutes to grab a bottle of iced tea from the corner store across from my office. I'm waiting patiently to pay for my beverage when in walks film director Gus Van Sant. (His films include Drugstore Cowboy, My Own Private Idaho, Good Will Hunting, and Finding Forrester, to name a few.) He's a Portland native and reportedly owns a condo in the pricey Pearl District, where my place of employment is located.

I wanted to turn and engage him some sort of deep conversation - the kind of discussion that shows I understand the deeper philosophical themes of his work. Instead, I just paid for my iced tea and walked out, leaving Gus Van Sant to buy his cigarettes in peace and quiet.

This was almost as cool as the time I passed Rupert from Survivor on the street in Indianapolis.

1 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Neville said...

I would've done the same thing Nikki. I always imagine myself having philosophical conversations of deep importance (especially to Gus Van Sant) to famous people and then when I see them, it just kinda seems like if I say something to him, he won't see me as smart, he'll see me as a money-grubbing/art-crazed-film-school-dropout or something.

And I don't want my opinion to go down in his mind, so I say nothing.

Good story. I miss you two. Send me your email when you can: nevillekiser@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home