July 02, 2006

The Irresponsible Gardener

You see this? This is a garden out of control. I can explain it, really:

1) I completely disregarded those guidelines that come with the plants on how far apart to plant them. They were just little sprouts at first, and I couldn't imagine how big they were going to get. So now our squash and zucchini are about to strangle one another.

2) I don't know how to use tomato cages. First we got stakes to hold them up, then tried to force them into cages after they were already three feet tall. Bad idea. Now we have a space-age, fancy, three-sided tomato cage to handle all of the off-shoots.

3) I hate weeding and I'm bad at it. Many people find it relaxing, but I find it boring. I never know what to do with the weeds I've pulled so I throw them somewhere behind me, probably breeding more weeds.

4) I remember to water these poor guys only sometimes. Plants are pretty smart though, and really do quite well on their own. Now that it's so hot, we're doing better at giving them a nightly drink.

So as you can see, it's a sheer miracle that our garden is doing as well as it is. Our tomato plants are going gangbusters, and our squash and zucchini plants are just now starting to sprout. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but aren't they kind of cute?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home