May 24, 2006

Working For The Man Every Night And Day

Well, I finally got a job. I am the new Admissions & Financial Aid Office Assistant at Pacific Northwest College of Art (PNCA).

Let’s just say that an art school is not quite like working at a church or at a Christian bookstore (my previous two jobs). Everyone seems really nice, but I can’t help feeling “not cool enough.” I wore my funky glasses instead of my contacts, but I might need to break out my green Chuck Taylor All-stars.

Some interesting (and random) events from my first day:
  • One of my coworkers sounds just like Sarah Vowell (journalist, This American Life contributor and the voice of Violet in The Incredibles).
  • This same coworker is an artist who makes earrings and yet does not wear earrings (or have pierced ears for that matter).
  • In an office of 6 people, I am the only guy. I’m thinking about buying a Hulk Hogan action figure for my desk, just to crank up the testosterone level a bit.
  • I found out that a guy from my high school graduating class, Mike Showell, is a student at PNCA.
  • At one point, I sang a few bars of "Forever Young" by Alphaville. Don’t ask - it was a long day.
  • September 19th is National Talk Like A Pirate Day, which the Admissions/Financial Aid Office observes. I am expected to participate.
  • Speaking of pirates, one of the I.T. guys at the school is in a local pirate band called Captain Bogg & Salty.
  • The office has a celebrity of the week. We just switched from Tori Spelling to Angelina Jolie.

Overall, I think I’ll enjoy it, and it sure beats the temp job I was working at the sales office for Yellow Book.

3 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Congratulations, Ben! Sounds like you won't be bored....

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Chasing Inspriation said...

Yay Ben! Congratulations. I think you're up to the challenge. Isn't that what COTC was, training ground for the rest of your life? I mean, there were some artsy people there, right? *grin*

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Sean Dietrich said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home