March 05, 2006

Intown at the Old Church.

Ben and I attended Intown Presbyterian this morning -- they meet in a beautiful old church downtown, appropriately named the Old Church (below). Somewhat reminiscent of our beloved church in Indianapolis, Redeemer Presbyterian, we're still making our minds up as to what we thought. I felt a little more at home with elements of the liturgy in the service -- the confession, the readings, the Eucharist, etc. They're between pastors, one woman I met after the service was quick to tell me, and that gives me a little hope. One troubling thing I heard was that many people drive from over an hour away to come to this church -- why is that? I mean, it's great and all, but I love the idea of a church being a community, even geographically. I want to live close to church friends, borrow eggs from each other, that sort of thing.



Perhaps the best part of the morning was having lunch with Mike, Liz, and Moses Kaufman, the folks that currently live in Indianapolis and started The New Deal and know all of our Redeemer friends. It made my heart hurt to hear about everyone having babies and friends living just across the street from one another. The folks that attend Redeemer embody a lifestyle I'm striving for, and at the core of that is community. I want to plant a community garden, I want to watch each other's kids, I want to go on walks and be a part of a neighborhood. I also want to drive a Volvo, but that's a whole other story.

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger kobie said...

i'm right there with you on community. that is exactly what i want...and i hope that in this compact city, somewhere there is a church community that truly is a community!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home