August 02, 2007

Minnesota, Take 2

We're home. After a year and a half of thinking, praying and wondering, we pulled into the Twin Cities this afternoon after three straight days of driving. It feels great to be back -- the streets are familiar and we know we have a church to go to on Sunday. Have we mentioned we bought a house? It's the cottage we've been dreaming about all these years:

It's in St. Paul and we're thrilled to be moving in soon. Until then, our friends Bjorn and Sarah were nice enough to let us stay at their house while they're on vacation.

Of course, our joy being back is muted by the terrible bridge collapse yesterday. We were driving through Montana when Ben finally reached me. I couldn't believe the news, and though we were still probably 1,000+ miles away I just wanted to do something, help somehow. I couldn't. I just prayed, sped to our hotel where I glued myself to CNN. Prayed for the families. Called Tracy in St. Paul who was luckily safe and sound. As we reached NPR range today Ben and I both listened to each press conference, every bit of information we could. We have been so impressed with the Twin Cities leaders -- their grace and dignity in handling this tragedy. Also interesting are the stories of the pedestrians who jumped in the river to save people and those who helped the children off the school bus -- surely there are countless more. This is the spirit of Minnesotans I believe, and truly the spirit of the Midwest. Probably the spirit of all people in the midst of a tragedy.

Anyway...we're just so glad to be back.

2 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Abby said...

Glad to see you're back. :)

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger fusion cut and color salon said...

Hi you guys!!! I am so happy you made it home safely. I too was thinking of you when I heard about the bridge.
I hope this move brings you both tons of happiness and if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest again please come and look Mom and I up again.
I miss you,
love tamara
fusion salon
http://www.fusioncutandcolor.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home